They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. Acts 2:42-47 NIV
When the first church started it was in response to the love of Jesus. We don’t really know how many people were in the first church, but numbers did not matter. What mattered most were people living out the call of Christ in community and love. This is exactly what OVERCOME CHURCH strives to be and more.
- Overcome exists to open up our minds to the truth of Jesus Christ. We do that through sound biblical teaching.
- We desire that everyone experiences a relationship with Jesus. One way we deepen that relationship is through passionate worship.
- We know that a real walk with Christ means to follow and serve Him with everything we are. We fulfill that walk through mission and serving our communities.
- We have a vision that church can be the Body of Christ. We believe that happens when we foster real relationships and community between one another.
- Overcome Church truly seeks to be like the first church in Acts 2. We proclaim we are imperfect people resting in the perfect love of Jesus.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” John 1:5 NIV